Thursday, June 26, 2008

My Old Man

I went to Nights of our Lives at UCB tonight. The theme this month was stories about our dads. This made me think of some stories about my dad. Here's one:

Dad is in the hospital after having hernia surgery. I walk into his room.

Me: Hey, Dad.

Dad: Hey, kiddo.

(Silence for ten minutes)

Dad: Hey, you wanna see something cool?

Me: (Hesitantly) Sure.

Dad: They put this epidural in my spine, so if I'm in pain, I can have all the morphine I want. All I have to do is press this button, but I cant do it too often. I just had some before you walked in. Let me see if I can get some more.

(He grabs the button by his bed and presses it. Nothing happens.)

Dad: Oh, well. Relief denied.

(Blackout)

1 comment:

Johnny McNulty said...

Holy shit. Dave, am I the first one to read your blog? Oh happy day. I'm so happy you have a blog. This is my homepage now.

Oh, glorious FIRST!

That's a great dad sketch by the way.